English for Better Communication in a Globalised Workplace – English Session
Please login to enjoy your member’s discount.
When logged in, individual members should enrol themselves only, as non-members are not entitled to your member’s discount.
There is an old saying that if you can master English well, you can succeed at work. Yet this begs the question – is American or British English the “best” choice? And what about other versions of English – are they all less desirable?
If you are:
a business development executive handling clients from around the world
a human resource expert managing colleagues across the globe
an entrepreneur with businesses worldwide
Please join us and explore the real potential of your English capabilities.
I. World “Englishes” in a globalised world
A. The “Standard” of English
1. Who defines what the standard is? What is good English? Who uses good English?
2. Multiple standards
1. How culture influences communications
1. Identity is communicated through English. Understanding identities vastly improves communications. Mutual trust can also be established.
II. Expert users of English vs Native users of English
A. Numbers of native and non-native English speakers
B. “Accents” / Different “Englishes”
1. Examples: French English, Korean English, Chinese English, etc.
2. Characteristics of different “Englishes”
C. Fluency / Precision
1. Good communication
2. Co-create communication
III. English in business setting
1. Avoiding jargons
2. Avoiding unilateral understanding like culturally based idioms
3. Understanding redundancies in English
C. Co-create meaning
IV. Individual Users
1. As an English/Writing Coach
a. How to comment on messages
b. Do not teach, coach subordinates
2. Time management
a. Invest time on long-term targets
B. Front line employees
1. How to improve written and oral communication
C. Specialised areas such as HR / IT / Legal / Merchandising, etc.
11 May 2021 (Tue)
09:30 – 17:30
Member – HK$2,000
Login details will be sent on 10 May 2021
Face to face Training Venue:
HKIHRM, Units 1810-15, 18/F, Millennium City 2, 378 Kwun Tong Road, Kwun Tong, Kowloon, Hong Kong
Participants can choose to attend the class virtually or face to face
Dr Alpha Leung
A passionate and professional trainer and educator in Commercial English, Dr Leung has been providing support for frontline employees and managers in the enhancement of business communication in English for the past 20 years. His lectures and seminars utilise cutting edge research in psychology, counselling and business management to help students improve their business communication skills.